Amrut mission was launched by Govt. of India in June 2015 with the purpose to:
- ensure that every household has access to a tap with assured supply of water and a sewerage connection;
- increase the amenity value of cities by developing greenery and well maintained open spaces (e.g. parks); and
- reduce pollution by switching to public transport or constructing facilities for non-motorized transport (e.g. walking and cycling).
All these outcomes are valued by citizens, particularly women, and indicators and standards have been prescribed by the Ministry of Urban Development (MoUD) in the form of Service Level Benchmarks (SLBs).
The Mission will focus on the following Thrust Areas:
- Water supply,
- Sewerage facilities and septage management,
- Storm water drains to reduce flooding,
- Pedestrian, non-motorized and public transport facilities, parking spaces, and
- Enhancing amenity value of cities by creating and upgrading green spaces, parks and recreation centers, especially for children.